Thursday, August 20, 2009

Performance Review: Nike Zoom Phenom

If you're following this blog, I know you're a big enough basketball fan to have tried to piece together your idea of the perfect basketball player. Jason Kidd's court awareness, Tony Parker's blinding speed, LeBron's build, Iverson's handle, Gilbert Arenas' range, Kobe's clutch and perimeter offense, Hakeem's inside offense, Gerald Green's vertical leap, Dwight Howard's strength and shot blocking, Chris Paul's pickpocketing, Dennis Rodman's rebounding... you get the idea.

[IMG_3584.jpg]

It's this principle - combining the best traits from multiple entities - that resulted in the Nike Zoom Phenom. A hybrid of the Shake N'Destruct (outsole) and the Air Max Sensation (upper), the Zoom Phenom has a lot to offer as a very good basketball shoe.

[nike_sensation_ndestruct.jpg]

[IMG_3588.jpg]

Upon taking them out of the box and prepping them to be put on, it was refreshing to realize that the Phenoms don't have any gimmicks - no midfoot straps that get in the way or zip-up shrouds that have you wondering where the laces should be placed. You simply slide your foot in, and with one or two quick tugs on both lace ends, the speed-lacing system (borrowed from the Air Max Sensation) has your foot locked, loaded, and ready for battle.

[IMG_3586.jpg]

During shootaround, the midsole proved to be very flexible out of the box. However, I noticed that as the shoes bent with each step, the somewhat stiff patent leather forced the uppers to crease inwards and press on the tops of my feet at the base of the toes. My remedy was to physically pull outwards on the upper where it was bending inwards, while simultaneously bending the shoes so that the upper creased outwards away from the feet (it's easiest to do this while wearing the shoes). After bending the shoes in this manner a few times, they naturally started to crease this way without manual help, and they no longer dug into my feet. (This trick not only worked with these shoes, but with many other shoes as well.) *EDIT* I will be posting photos to illustrate this technique.

[IMG_3590.jpg]

The Phenoms during game play are, well, phenomenal. They feel very light on your feet, and while the outsole may appear bulkier than desired around the toebox, I didn't feel that my quickness or first step were hindered at all. Lockdown and ankle support were terrific as well, as I felt completely safe wrapped in the plush supportive upper, yet unhindered with the shoes laced all the way to the top. The outsole pattern seem more suited for outdoor courts, but I had absolutely no problems with traction on our well-maintained indoor court. A large visible Zoom Air unit in the heel cushioned every heelstrike, and while I would've loved Zoom in the forefoot, the Phylon forefoot provided a nice, gentle ride.

[IMG_3589.jpg]

[IMG_3585.jpg]

I should give a little extra focus on the Phenom's interior. They're generously roomy and perfect for players with flat, semi-wide feet. The roominess reminded me of the Flight Clubs, but thanks again to the speed-lacing system, the Phenoms have much better lockdown.

The Bottom Line: It's no wonder that Deron Williams, Rudy Gay, and Brandon Roy stuck with these shoes throughout the entire season. They look sharp, perform very well, are ready to go right out of the box, and seem capable of maintaining durability through longer periods of time. And at a very affordable $50 with F&F + sale price on Eastbay, the Zoom Phenoms are a great shoe to add to your rotation.

[rating_ZoomPhenom.jpg]

A closer look at the Nike Zoom Phenom Deron Williams PE:
[IMG_7879.jpg]
[IMG_7881.jpg]
[IMG_7880.jpg]

[dwill_phenom.jpg]

[broy_phenom.jpg]

[broy_asg_phenom.jpg]

9 comments:

  1. Very good shoes! comfy and although there heavy looking, appearance can be deceiving! lightweight, and agile. perfect for a young PG like me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I got these shoes, I first thought that it would suck and that i would have to buy a different shoe. ex. Adidas TopDown or LeBron 7. But after using it for a whole Tournament in our district, I realized that it was really a great shoe! The fusion of two completely different shoes and bringing out the best in both deliver a Phenominal Shoe. Great Shoe NIKE!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love these shoes well I paid 20 bucks at the nike outlet. Let me tell you thought, you can wear these indoor ot outdoor. which is really nice. I love the thick soles with make them tough. only thing is do not wear short cut socks, they will rub on the back of your achllies and make it hurt and peel your skin away. I learned that from playing ball. wear longer socks that just go past your shoes. Other than that I love the style and performance I bought 2 pair cause I paid 20 bucks for em....

    ReplyDelete
  4. i jus got these kiks n dey are very legit. i recommend these for anyone. great shoe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had no intentions of buying these, and for 35$ i thought i was getting decent back-up shoe. after my first pick-up game I feel in love. for the price, these are a must buy!whether they are ur #1,2,3,or 4 in rotation they need to be in there. wow(looking at them now)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cool pictures, the Nike shoes have been very famous for being so resistant and flexible to run and practice some sports like basketball.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well I guess this can be a useful guide to buy sneakers, but it's still very hard to find quality in these days.

    ReplyDelete

Constructive feedback is welcome!