Thursday, September 10, 2009

Performance Review Comparison: Hyperize vs Hyperdunk

As most of you know, I'm a regular on the NikeTalk and Sole Collector message boards. The more time I spend on the boards, the more I notice that while people appreciate straight up performance reviews, they always want to know how the shoe compares to another shoe. So I thought I'd try something different this time. What I'm going to try to do more frequently is to not only review a shoe, but also compare it to a shoe that's very similar. I'm hoping this will provide even more insight into how the shoe performs, and it'll also be sort of a buy-one-get-one-free review. Anyway, moving on to this week's [delayed] review - the Nike Hyperize. Since the Hyperize is supposed to be the updated Hyperdunk, they'll be going toe to toe in Sneaker Livestock's first performance battle.

[IMG_7921.jpg]

I've played in both shoes; they feel very similar - so similar that I wouldn't be able to find any differences between them by wearing them separately. In order to get the most accurate comparison, I put a Hyperize on my left foot and a Hyperdunk on my right foot and ran, jumped, cut, etc. and then switched feet. Doing this revealed the slightest of differences between the shoes, and I encourage everyone to try doing this with any 2 shoes.

[IMG_7922.jpg]
Hook 'em Horns!!

My first impression when having both shoes on was that they felt strikingly similar. The midsole cushioning felt basically the same (as it should, since they have the same setup - heel Zoom / forefoot Lunar Foam). I did notice that the forefoot foam is slightly squishier in the Hyperdunk, but any extra points it would've earned are cancelled out by complaints of the foam quickly bottoming out. The heel-toe transition was exactly the same, and the fit and comfort were identical. I had different shoes on my feet for a while and at one point actually forgot that they weren't the same.

Here's where I noticed the differences. Lockdown is better in the Hyperdunk, thanks to a few factors:

1) The Hyperdunk has 2 lace eyelets tucked in the crease where the top of your ankle bends. This means that the laces actually cross over the top of the ankles, keeping the middle and back of the foot more locked down.

[IMG_7925.jpg]
Note how the Hyperdunk's laces travel inward into the cutout just where the ankle collar starts

2) The Hyperdunk is cut higher in the back by the Achilles. The higher cut prevents the heel from slipping during toe off.

[IMG_7924.jpg]
Note the Hyperdunk's slightly higher cut in Achilles area

3) The Hyperdunk's ankle collar has 3 levels of lace eyelets as opposed to the Hyperize's 2 levels. The extra level allows for a more snug fit around the ankle collar, improving lockdown and also increasing ankle support.

[IMG_7926.jpg]
Note the extra lace loop sewn into the inside of the bottom part of the collar (Hyperdunk)

The other key difference is that the Hyperdunk seems to have a wider stance than the Hyperize. It's not actually wider; if you put the shoes sole to sole, they're the same width - but the shape of the outsole around the pinky-toe side juts out closer to the front of the shoe in the Hyperdunk, while the Hyperize has a curve that happens towards the midfoot. Confusing, yes... just think of the difference between the Huarache 2k4 and 2k5. The 2k5 has better lateral stability thanks to the exaggerated shape, but the more streamlined 2k4 is a more nimble shoe. That comparison can be applied here, where the Hyperize compares to the 2k4 while the Hyperdunk compares to the 2k5.

[IMG_7927.jpg]

For now, this is purely an assumption (will need to be confirmed over time) but the Hyperize should be a much more durable shoe. While the Hyperize utilizes less Flywire than the Hyperdunk, in no way does it sacrifice flexibility, comfort, fit, or most importantly, weight (and it's even supposed to weigh a few ounces less than the Hyperdunk). The additional leather (or patent leather in this case) that frames the Flywire should provide a longer lasting shoe - and therefore, more bang for your buck.

The Bottom Line: The Hyperize and Hyperdunk are strikingly similar shoes in terms of comfort and feel. Nike addressed some key Hyperdunk problems in the Hyperize; general durability seems to have improved, and the forefoot Lunar Foam is claimed to last longer. People who complained about the Hyperdunk's poor traction will be happy to see herringbone applied to the Hyperize outsole (although I never had any traction complaints). However, the Hyperize does take a tiny step back in terms of lockdown and lateral stability. Of course, the performance differences are very small; in no way would I discourage anyone from trying out the Hyperize, especially if you like the Hyperdunk. It's a great shoe, and it definitely earns a spot in my top performers list.

Side-by-side comparison:
[Hyperize_vs_Hyperdunk.jpg]

[rating_Hyperize.jpg]

[rating_Hyperdunk.jpg]

[IMG_7919.jpg]

[IMG_7914.jpg]

[IMG_7915.jpg]

[IMG_7916.jpg]

[IMG_7917.jpg]

[IMG_7918.jpg]

[IMG_7920.jpg]

10 comments:

  1. Excellent review, perfect explanation of the details, and the head-2-head is a great idea, it's great how you put, one shoe on one foot, and one on the other, I do the same thing :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review, did you play in them or just do a light test? I personally don't like the look of the Hyperize's but would scoop them up on sale maybe. The low cut of the rear ankle height compared to the front seems very extreme, how did that feel?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always play in the shoes before I write a review, and I did get them on sale (half price)! The low cut of the rear didn't feel awkward or anything. It actually allows for a little more movement, but at the same time, there's a loss of heel lockdown.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keep em coming. It would only be fit for you to own the UT version to add to your livestock.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yeah, ok with the review.. it's ok!
    but i don't see anything about the biggest 2 cons of the Hyperizes... the problem with really spacious interior.. many guys complain that their feet take a second step inside the show... also the thing that the sole twist or something.. the shoe is not safe...
    On the other hand, the Hyperizes remain the best sellers of this period...
    maybe people buy what they are given to, or maybe they are actually really good...
    i'm truly confused...and i need to buy a pair, really soon..

    ReplyDelete
  6. This has to be one of the best reviews i have ever seen. I own both the HD's(Hyperdunks) and HR's(Hyperizes) and feel they are both great shoes to play in. On good ol' hardwood floors I feel like i benefit more from having HR's on my feet simply because of the slightly better movement they offer. On the blacktop, HD's are my option simply because of the improved ankle support. All in all.....both 2 of the best performance shoes on the market today. Some like hyperdunks....some like hyperizes. It all stems from personal preference. If I was given money to buy one or the other......I would buy LeBron VII's =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Many thanks for such a write-up. I undoubtedly cherished reading it and talk about this it to my friends.

    ReplyDelete
  8. True or False:
    I bought one pair of Hyperize (new in box) online recently and it literally felt apart after one month or so of indoor playing. I say it's a fake. But the seller says "vintage shoes" do these sort of things. Who is correct ? comments appreciated.

    ReplyDelete

  9. One of my best buddies recommended this website and I owe it to her. She helped me to find this nice website. I appreciate your nice work. Keep continuing helping others. I will refer this site to other people like my best buddy. Thanks.
    Hug & blesses!
    Click this post to read more.

    ReplyDelete

Constructive feedback is welcome!